When building a new house, people often turn to architects to kick off the project. However, a different model is becoming quite popular: design-build. Instead of dividing tasks between separate architecture and construction companies, you can hire a full-service Hilton Head Island design-and-build company to complete your entire project, from initial sketches through final construction. Learn more about how to choose the right design-build professionals for your home project on Hilton Head Island.
Design-build firms take on the responsibilities of architects, contractors and construction companies, all under one roof. These full-service firms focus on a streamlined design-build process — from the initial design to the estimating phase to physical construction — in the hope of creating an efficient experience for both the client and the company. Because the entire project is happening within one company, Hilton Head Island design-build firms are able to overlap the design and construction phases of the project, which often speeds up the project significantly. In addition, these firms work to minimize risks for the project owner through single-point responsibility contracts. However, depending on the firm, you may still want to contact an interior designer or architect to help create the exact look you want.
Before deciding on a residential design-and-build company in Hilton Head Island, SC, think about what you want from your new home. Do you want a large kitchen for entertaining? Do you need several bedrooms for children and guests? Do you want a finished basement for extra space or storage? Look for Hilton Head Island design-builders that specialize in the areas you’re looking for. Budget is obviously a determining factor in the outcome of your project. To make sure you stay within your means, consider making a must-have list and a wish list. Gauge where the estimates are falling to determine which design-build contract can realistically strike the balance between the two.
Questions to ask a prospective Hilton Head Island design-builder:
- How long have you been in the design-build construction business?
- How many projects like mine have you completed?
- Who will be working on the project?
- Are the workers employees or subcontractors?
- Can you provide me with references?
- Who is your designer, and what are his or her qualifications?
- Are your employees licensed and insured?
- How do you charge, and what does that include?
- Can you give me a written estimate?
- What do your services include?
- When can this job get done?
- What happens when cost exceeds the budget? What about changes to materials or labor pricing?
- What will I need to provide?
- Are there any important considerations or concerns you foresee with this project?